[arm-allstar] how can i determine why a bbb node goes to sleep

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Fri May 22 17:02:47 EST 2015

Neil,

 It is often hard to diagnose problems like this remotely. If you are running the 1.2.1 BBB version the green light stopping blinking should not happen. Test this by removing the USB to the DMK-URI on a working system. When you plug it back in it should recover and start blinking again. I suspect it will because I think this problem is not in the USB. If you are losing Ethernet (login) also then it is a more serious problem.

The Internet should have nothing to do with the RF side not working. What you are seeing is obviously not normal and not usual by any means. It could be a bad power supply to the BBB. It could be a bad image. It could be bad hardware - the BBB itself. Often the only way to find out is to substitute. I would start with a different power supply. That is the most critical on the BBB.

Another thing you could try is another SD card. Put the card you have programed aside and a minimal setup just to get you registered and able to connect. Run that for a few days and see if it happens again.

There is no easy fix. You need to take it one step at a time. I am sorry you are having this problem. There are hundreds of BBB's out there running Allstar and it is not something that I have ha reported to me before.

If you do decide to buy another board make it an RPi2. Not that there is anything wrong with the BBB but any future buys should be the RPi2.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio