[arm-allstar] Script to run ARRL or ARN news on Allstar

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Mon Jul 13 23:01:00 EST 2015

I have created a script that I use to play either ARRL or ARN news feed on Allsar. It is totally automatic and could be run with a cron job to play weekly or however often you wish. This is plug and play for the RPi2 or BBB. It will not run on Centos Acid as is without some package downloads which may or may not be available. Limited documentation is in the README located in the file package and in the ARRLplay script itself. It is fairly self explanatory. I use it here weekly and it serves the purpose and works well. You are welcome to use it and make changes as you wish. Please retain my credits.

As packaged it plays ARRL news which is published weekly on non holiday Fridays. I have also used it with Amateur Radio Newsline. An example is shown in the ARRLplay script to use ARN. ARN was down for awhile with the death of Bill Pasternak and I started using ARRL news which I tend to prefer as it is shorter in length with less fluff.

You can download here -

http://hamvoip.org/downloads/ARRL-News-for-Allstar.zip
a link will also be at the hamvoip.org web page.

If you use this script PLEASE use discretion when playing the news. The script has the option of playing  locally or globally (all nodes you are connected to) If playing globally outside of your local system please make sure you have the permission of all of the nodes you are connected to.

Have fun!

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio