[arm-allstar] Radio-Less node at W3RWN

Randy Neals randy at neals.ca
Sat Jul 11 12:02:42 EST 2015

Picture of my Radio-Less AllStar Node at W3RWN in Seattle - #28709.

*http://tinyurl.com/owwsbjf <http://tinyurl.com/owwsbjf>*
Behind the front panel is a Repeater-Builder USB-RIM audio interface.
I drilled holes in the chassis panel so the LEDs on the USB-RIM would be
visible.
The plastic case of the USB-RIM is hot glued to the back of the chassis
panel.

Inside is a Beaglebone Black, a 12vdc to 5vdc converter, a small audio
amplifier and a speaker.
The DTMF mic is a $19 eBay special - GE/MA-Com mic made by Shure.
The speaker is from a cheap pair of computer speakers and happened to fit
the grill pattern in the case.

Mic PTT line is connected to the USB-RIM COS input line.
There is a jumper on the USB-RIM that provides a pull-up voltage.

The complete unit runs from 12 volts. It draws about 260ma at idle, and
around 300ma peak, I'm running it from a 12vdc 2amp wall-wart.

Hope to try it over 4G LTE Internet connection this weekend.
Would like to see if I can make this work reliably from my car using a cell
data connection.

I usually have my Seattle node #28709 connected to my repeater in Ontario,
VE3RTR node 2257.
My Ontario call is VE3RWN)

73,
Randy, W3RWN / VE3RWN