[arm-allstar] BBB URI USB-HUB Distorted Audio

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Jan 1 15:46:19 EST 2015

Hi,

What kind of radio / repeater are you interfacing with?

In my experience, if the noise is low frequency (60 cycle hum), you've
probably got a ground loop. If the noise is much higher frequency (perhaps
1 or 2 khz) and jumping around a bit, the source is probably a noisy
switching power supply.

I've frequently seen ground loop woes using URI adapters when installing
them in repeater racks. In fact, I now modify ALL URIs that I install on
repeaters and add a large ground wire. This has 100% solved all ground
loop issues I've had thus far. Here are some sample photos of a modified
URI. I'll attach the ground directly to a chassis screw on the back of the
repeater.

http://www.hamvoip.org/kenwood-TKR/P1030817.JPG
http://www.hamvoip.org/kenwood-TKR/P1030820.JPG

For high frequency noise (switching power supplies, etc.), the best
solution is to find a quiet power supply. Note that many wall-wart style
switchers have several volts of high frequency common-mode noise on the
outputs. This can be easily seen using an oscilloscope.

I've used USB isolators in MANY installations where I had stubborn noise
issues--particularly where I had a noisy computer power supply (which
introduced noise into the USB signaling and URI), and couldn't easy
replace the power supply (this is more frequently seen with embedded PC's
than BBB's) . I've got about a dozen of these installed on repeaters and
remote-base radios:

http://us.hifimediy.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=69

I hope this helps a little. I've also got photos showing the grounding
config that I've "standardized" on for BBB installations, if needed.

Happy New Year!

73, David KB4FXC