[arm-allstar] COR timer -- was: COR question

REDBUTTON_CTRL jrorke at cogeco.ca
Wed Dec 16 21:11:20 EST 2015

I believe the chip in the FOBS and the URI were designed to have the
inputs pull hi internally and looks for a hi to lo transition to take
action.

I dont want to spark the debate over weather active low vs active hi cor
is better. The real answer is it shouldn't matter as long as you take
into account what your connected radio does in all modes of operation.

Some radios only give a voltage change but dont pull to ground, some
give an active lo, some have an open collector that either pulls to
ground on signal or stays low and floats hi with signal.

In the case of active low (USBinvert) it should work most of the time,
but as it has been said, in some radios the COR line goes low when the
radio is turned off.
I have even seen some radios where the COR ling goes active on transmit too!

So if you switch to active hi (USB) then it should also work, and if the
line goes low when the radio is turned off, then it shouldn't cause a
problem. But if you disconnect your radio from the URI/FOB then it will
think you radio is receiving and you are back to square 1.

Adding a timer may help but in my opinion it just masking the problem
and it should be delt with in the radio.

I personally use USB invert (Active low) on all radios connected to
repeater controllers and/or URIs.

I check the output signals on all the radios I intend to use and if I'm
not satisfied that I can use an active low output then I modifiy the
radio using an NPN transistor to give me and active lo open collector.

This way the COR line connected to the URI/FOB will always see an active
lo COR or PL signal and the radio will never source any voltage whether
its on or off or disconnected.

If you cant add the circuit and the radio does some unpredictable things
with power glitches, then perhaps add  battery back up to the radio so
it doesn't reset on power bumps and stays at its normal mode.

My point here is to ensure you investigate your radio and take the
necessary precautions so that your node doesn't go into transmit mode
for no reason.
Unfortunately this is a danger when setting up simplex nodes. If you
node thinks its receiving a signal from your radio it will TX over the
net to any connected nodes and cause them to TX and one may not know
this is occurring.

just my 2 cents  worth. YMMV

Jon VA3RQ