[arm-allstar] AC coupled audio

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Apr 9 06:21:54 EST 2015

Hi,

I expect you're correct: DO NOT ground the speaker connection! ...I know
that is for certain with most transformer-less radios.

Typically, the preferred way to get audio from the speaker terminals is to
use an isolation transformer, with an appropriate terminating resistor
across the primary.  I've got this exact setup on several GE-Rangr radios
and it works well.

As for the terminating resistor, I used a 8-ohm, 5W resistor obtained from
a hamfest.  For the transformer, I bought several miniature 1:1 (600 ohm,
I think)  transformers off ebay (try searching: "audio isolation
transformer").

BTW, I have seen some coupling methods that simply used capacitors. I
haven't tries that....As I think was already mentioned, the hot end of a
volume pot is also an excellent spot to get audio--then you don't have to
worry about the level getting accidentally changed.

73, David KB4FXC