[arm-allstar] Fldigi

Ron Wenig rwenig at verizon.net
Tue Jun 24 14:17:38 EST 2014

Hello BeagleBone enthusiasts,

I wanted to update everyone on something a small group of us has been
experimenting on.  Each of us has a second BBB node that we connect to
each other with and send digital data to each other using the digital
program Fldigi.  We haven't yet come up with a practical use for it
except to see if it would work.  We could expand it's use by connecting
a radio and using it as a portable digital data station that could be
used in an area that may have been effected by an event and has limited
communications.  It can be used as the last mile to provide an RF link
to another station that has an Internet connection.

Right now my station has 2 computers with audio line in connected to
line out and out connected to in.  One computer has Fldigi running using
the internal sound card.  The other computer has Iaxrpt running also
using the internal sound card.  To transmit I press the transmit key on
Iaxrpt then on the other computer use Fldigi to send a message out to
the other connected node.  The reason I can't use just one computer is
Iaxrpt will unkey if it is not the active program.

The next plan is to hook up a radio to the BBB and use a second radio
with a SignaLink.  This would then become the portable digital data
station.  Using RF we wouldn't have to use Iaxrpt.

Is anyone else doing anything like this with the BBB.  In the back of my
mind I'm thinking of trying something with packet.  I have a couple of
TNCs laying around that I'd love to put to use.  Possibly setting up an
old fashioned Bulletin Board System maybe running in the BeagleBone.
I'm not sure if there is an Arch Linux Packet BBS program out there or
if it could run along side of the Allstar program.  For now if you would
like to try Fldigi connect to node 40892 and give it a try.  I usually
have Fldigi running and parked on 1500 on the waterfall.  Just make sure
you aren't connected to any other node.

73, Ron NY3J