[arm-allstar] Great to hear the success!

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Wed Jun 4 23:35:14 EST 2014

Wow. It sounds like several BBB nodes have come online just in the last day or so. Thanks for the comments and I am very glad that you all have been so successful. I tried to make the notes as clear as possible and I will be tweaking and adding to them as time goes on. It is also great to hear the about the additional projects involving the BBB and Allstar that many of you are pursuing.

I have a question for the beta group. We put a firewall in the last beta release that I believe you all now have. The reason was because someone expressed a concern with security. I am not convinced this is needed as it did not exist in the PC version and no one ever seemed to complain. In most all cases the BBB would be preceded by an Internet router that would act as a firewall. You would have the option to open the ports in your router to the Internet that you desire.

I have had at least one user have a problem with the firewall and to alleviate potential problems I am proposing leaving it off by default with a note that the user can activate and configure it if desired. This would eliminate any potential problems that might crop up. Personally I would leave it off but I know there are some who may not feel that way.

Comments??

Also the official release has been delayed yet again because we want to get some code in that is not quite finished. Unfortunately we have other things in our lives we have to contend with and this is a very busy time of the year! So as of now we are looking at the end of next week for the official release. Hopefully that will not slip again.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio