[arm-allstar] node building

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Tue Jul 22 22:40:53 EST 2014

Jim,

 As Dave said everything is on the SD card and you can boot it on any Black hardware.

If you want to setup a new node for a different location I would setup the IP for the current location. Then go in and setup all the config files. Get it working with the new server and nodes. You could either just go in and edit the files or copy them from an existing working node. If you did that you would still have to change the node numbers and registration PW as a minimum.

Once it is working the way you want it to for the new location then run firsttime.sh again.

 /usr/local/sbin/firsttime.sh

Then change the IP address to suit the new location. Also you have the option of changing the PW and hostname.  I usually set the hostname to the node number. That avoids a lot of confusion when you have 2 or more ssh windows opened to remote sites.

Then it will reboot but not work if the IP address range is different than the current network. Just shut it down and take it to the new location. Port forward the iax port in the router at the new location and boot the Black. It should work out of the box.

Once you have done a few Blacks you could do the setup minus the image burn time in about 10 minutes!!
Also since everything is on the SD card and you are dispersing nodes around HI you should have backup SD cards shipped with the nodes and kept with them. In the unlikely case you would have a problem you could just swap the SD card. Also keep a copy of the images on a PC somewhere.

73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio