[arm-allstar] bbb Behavior

Mark Herson, N2MH n2mh at n2mh.net
Sat Jul 19 16:32:38 EST 2014

To the Group,

In a previous message, I mentioned that I had brought up a bbb controlling
a WX receiver. In the process of making this work, I noticed a couple of
things that the developers might take a look at (and perhaps for others to
confirm).

1. While the bbb is running, the Power pushbutton does not seem to do
anything. On stock code, pushing this button while the bbb is running,
will force the bbb to do a graceful shut down. When running the Allstar
image, this button seems to do nothing. FWIW, the shutdown command seems
to work normally from a command line.

2. I run a static ip address on the Allstar bbb. If I power up the bbb
without an ethernet cable connected, it will boot OK and seem to come up.
However, if I connect the ethernet cable after it has booted, the ethernet
port never comes alive. This is seen 3 ways: no activity light on the bbb
ethernet connector, no activity light on the ethernet switch, and an
inability to access the bbb via ssh. It's almost as if the ethernet port
goes to sleep and stays that way. I would expect that once the ethernet
port sees connectivity (incoming DC voltage?), it should wake up and start
working... The only way to reset this port is to do a shutdown on the bbb.
And, since you can't ssh in and do a shutdown command, and the power
button does not work, you have to pull the power plug and shut it down the
hard way.

73, Mark, N2MH