[arm-allstar] 1.2.1 BBB Device Tree question

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Mon Dec 15 11:22:51 EST 2014

Joel,

 In short the I/O stuff (cape manager) is not in the kernel we are using. It was a compromise as there were so many other improvements important to stable operation in this kernel so we decided to use it. We are hoping to get that back in for the next release. For now I would recommend a usb to serial adapter. They work fine. Adafruit has one for $10 if you just need rxd and txd and there are many other that would also work fine. This would come up as something like /dev/usbtty0 etc.

In general there is nothing wrong with using the USB adapters. They offer an amount of isolation from the I/O bus and involve less programming. It is certainly an acceptable alternative.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/954?gclid=CLDBk-G5yMICFalj7AodOH0Avg
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio