[Arm-allstar-irlp] Important Info for all Hamvoip IRLP users

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Mon Jan 13 21:10:13 EST 2020

Fred,

HamVoIP and AllStar are not dependent on any external servers. You can
setup completely private networks, even build your own network from
scratch, if you wanted to. Many have built and run their own networks,
including me.

In their default setups, both IRLP and AllStar depend on central servers
to provide a frequently updated mapping of IP addresses to nodes. This is
needed only if IP addresses change, unneeded if all the addresses are
static.  The IRLP servers also provide updated public PGP keyrings.

AllStar has numerous advantages over IRLP. Some are: true full-duplex
communications, each node is a full "reflector," allowing many
simultaneous in-bound and out-bound connections, many more CODECs
available, fully integrated repeater control is built-in, flexible
software-based bridging is easily setup, if desired, only one single UDP
port is needed, IAX2 provides packet jitter-buffering, automatically
compensating for network latency changes, there are MANY sources of
compatible hardware, you're not locked into a single source and the list
goes on and on.

Honestly, I'm not aware of any area where IRLP has superiority, at this
point?? I know some persons have commented about IRLP's PGP node
authentication for security. I guess it should be pointed out that IRLP's
version of PGP uses RSA-512 keys, which were considered obsolete 20 years
ago. These keys were first cracked in 1999!  Today, RSA-512 private keys
can be revealed within a few hours by any hacker who might happen to take
interest.

Doug's comments were spot-on. There was no slander.  There is a huge
learning curve with AllStar, I won't deny that. It's truly ashame that the
IRLP world seems to want to maintain an isolationist policy all the way to
the end.  The pages of history are turning.

73, David KB4FXC

On Mon, 13 Jan 2020, "w5mgm--- via ARM-allstar-irlp" wrote:

> Doug,

     There's a lot of reasons that some of use IRLP.  Perfect example
is right now the way the Allstar system is set up, it depends on
Allstar's servers for my node to maintain a connection to other nodes.
With IRLP, once my node is connected to another node or reflector,
IRLP's servers are not needed to keep the connection alive.   So if
David Cameron shut down shop tomorrow, all of our IRLP systems would
still work, there just wouldn't be any new nodes added to the network.
I don't believe we can say the same if Allstar's servers were to all
be shutdown.   That being said, why you would put down and slander IRLP
is beyond me.

Fred
W5MGM