[Arm-allstar-irlp] Another node migrated

David Andreatta dandreat0 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 18 18:28:21 EST 2018

Howdy, all;     (Trying again. This time using plain text...)

I'm happy to report another node successfully migrated. I am not one of
the original ALS - IRLP gateway operators. Instead, I built a portable
rPi UHF simplex node around a year ago which included the modified IRLP
interface board and a URIx.

I have ham friends who travel and I wanted to provide a link home for
these folks from various remote locations. I occasionally travel to a
rural area myself with cellular internet, but few repeaters, and wanted
to be able to link back into my usual friends and nets while traveling.
(For example, I checked into a Denver net from my hotel in Dayton last
year...)

For all the time I've operated it, I've changed between linking
protocols using the time honored process of shutdown - swap SD cards -
and boot to change between AllStar / EchoLink and IRLP / EchoIRLP.
Though the node was running AllStar most of the time, it was getting a
bit tedious to keep up with updates, tweaks, and backups on both
platforms and, especially, manage the scheduling of having the node
operating on the requested linking system when a friend needed access
while on a trip.

So, for perhaps a different set of reasons than most, I'm overjoyed to
have it all working together! My sincere thanks goes out to David, Doug,
and the beta testers who contributed to this all working together again,
and for all the other things which have been coming to the hamvoip
distribution! Nice job, folks!

Thanks, and 73,

Dave Andreatta
WD0HXN