[arm-allstar] WiFi turning itself on

Patrick Perdue borrisinabox at gmail.com
Thu May 16 16:15:46 EDT 2024

Greetings;

I have a Raspberry Pi 3 model B with WiFi that isn't fully functional,
so I am using a device to bridge from WiFi to Ethernet instead as of
last summer. I have long ago gone into the admin menu, disabled WiFi,
and made sure that the wpa_supplicant at wlan0 service isn't running. I
didn't bother disabling the WiFi overlay or deleting my wpa_supplicant
file. Maybe I should have, because that system was rebooted a few hours
ago due to a power failure (also a UPS failure). When it came back
online, it was in that weird state where it was associated with an
access point, but essentially being useless. Fortunately, it still
accepted SSH connections via Ethernet, or I would have had no way to
control it, as it's 500 miles away.

So, now I have added the line dtoverlay=disable-wifi to /bootconfig.txt,
and rebooted the Pi, which should prevent this from happening again.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has seen the WiFi interface on a
HamVoIP node become enabled unexpectedly like that.

73

N2DYI