[arm-allstar] linux log (journalctl)

Nate Bargmann n0nb at n0nb.us
Mon Feb 12 19:18:59 EST 2024

* On 2024 12 Feb 17:50 -0600, Rich Ball via ARM-allstar wrote:
> I just installed SkywarnPlus weather alerting program. It has a cron that
> runs every minute.  I happened to press the linux log button and noticed
> that the log is full with cron entries every minute. I'm concerned about the
> disk filling up as well as the number of writes to the SD card.  Any
> suggestions as how to stop the cron log entries?

That should not be a problem as the journal is kept in RAM.  From
/etc/systemd/journald.conf:

[Journal]
Storage=volatile

(all the rest of the lines are commented.)

>From the journald.conf manual page:

       Storage=
           Controls where to store journal data. One of "volatile",
           "persistent", "auto" and "none". If "volatile", journal log data
           will be stored only in memory, i.e. below the /run/log/journal
           hierarchy (which is created if needed). If "persistent", data will
           be stored preferably on disk, i.e. below the /var/log/journal
           hierarchy (which is created if needed), with a fallback to
           /run/log/journal (which is created if needed), during early boot
           and if the disk is not writable.  "auto" is similar to "persistent"
           but the directory /var/log/journal is not created if needed, so
           that its existence controls where log data goes.  "none" turns off
           all storage, all log data received will be dropped. Forwarding to
           other targets, such as the console, the kernel log buffer, or a
           syslog socket will still work however. Defaults to "auto".

On my HamVOIP installation the journal is under /run/log/journal and
df -h shows it to be a RAM partition:

tmpfs           467M   18M  449M   4% /run

Hope that helps.

73, Nate, N0NB

--
Web: https://www.n0nb.us