[arm-allstar] AutoSky broke?

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sat Feb 3 12:48:38 EST 2024

I'll take a look at the AutoSKY API, I'm guessing very little (if
anything?) needs to change for the newer NWS API.

My suspicion is that some internal systems at the NWS were/are temporarily
broken!

I've seen a *LOT* of intermittent NWS issues with their older APIs! In
fact, I was/am suprised exactly how bad this problem is!  I had never
personally experienced NWS issues until about a couple months ago, when
the weather.sh script started failing due to bad weather data from the
legacy accuweather RSS API.  At that point I started experimenting with
pulling data from NWS, rather than Accuweather, as a back-up source.

BTW, so far I've found that (as expected, I guess!) the NWS METAR data
available from their aviation weather system works flawlessly.  All the
other systems and API's (version 1.2 included) are a little hit-or-miss.

To help resolve the weather.sh script issues from a 2 months ago, I
started caching various NWS data for ALL US forecast zones.  Now, if the
accuweather API calls fail, the script falls back to data from the NWS,
using a new utility I wrote, hvwx. For example:

[root at RPi-Z2W ~]# hvwx

Retrieve NOAA/NWS weather observation data from HamVoIP. Ver 2023-11-28, (c) 2023, K4FXC

USAGE: hvwx [options]

	-j         --json		Output format is JSON.
	-r         --raw		Output raw data for zip code (only usable for zip code).
	--dump				Output debugging info.

	You must supply only one of the following options:

73, David K4FXC