[arm-allstar] AutoSky broke?

Larry Mollica qjf5cqutzp at liamekaens.com
Sat Feb 3 03:00:06 EST 2024

AutoSky started acting up this week - It was stuck today, kept announcing an NWS flood watch that ended yesterday or this morning.

$TMPDIR/alert.txt2 file had the entire text of the ATOM feed stored in it, instead of just the usual couple of words of the spoken alert.

The ATOM feed it’s pulling down starts with:
<feed xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom" xmlns:cap="urn:oasis:names:tc:emergency:cap:1.2">

Maybe it can’t deal with NWS CAP v1.2? I wouldn’t know. Honestly I don’t know what version of feed it was pulling before it went south.

The NWS change bulletin in part says:
> ... NWS and the National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) will implement a new version of alerts.weather.gov on or about February 14, 2024, at which time the dissemination by NWS of products formatted with the Common Alerting Protocol version 1.1 (CAP v1.1) will be terminated as advertised in Service Change Notice (SCN) 23-57. As a result, the user interface at alerts.weather.gov will be updated and will begin using the CAP 1.2 formatted data provided by the NWS Application Programming Interface (API) at api.weather.gov. …

https://www.weather.gov/media/notification/pdf_2023_24/scn23-121_alerts_2.3.0_aaa.pdf

So; I don’t know. Maybe NWS jumped the gun or something else broke on their end? I had three nodes running AutoSky and they all did the same thing.

Was planning on trying SkywarnPlus anyway, but for all I know that might be affected too. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Larry AD6G