[arm-allstar] Internet drop cos hold

Patrick Perdue borrisinabox at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 12:12:38 EDT 2023

Latency is less of a problem than jitter. If latency is relatively high,
but the jitter is reasonable, you can usually get away with it.

Of course, the more you've got going on, the less likely you are to have
stability. Plus, who knows what your provider is doing at any given time
regarding packet prioritization, load, etc.

I have a friend on T-Mobile home internet, which has, at least in his
area, the lowest latency I've ever seen on a 5g connection. I've seen
pings as low as 10 ms to the VPN I have routed his clear node through,
and his connection, at least while using that VPN, is very solid. You'd
never know it was on a wireless connection.

If you are directing a bunch of connections directly to the repeater via
a VPN or some such, consider hosting a node on a higher tear of service,
then connecting the repeater to that node, allowing it to host the bulk
of the traffic rather than having it all hang off of your 5g connection.

I believe the command you are looking for is:

iax2 show netstats