[arm-allstar] Kenwood TM-D700A as remote base from app.rpt or Hamlib

Patrick Perdue borrisinabox at gmail.com
Mon May 10 22:58:12 EDT 2021

Hi:

I am about to try setting up my Kenwood TM-D700A as an agile remote
base. Previously, someone on this list sent me a nice set of scripts
made for a few radios to control things with Hamlib, which is very
easily adapted to the TM-D700A. However, doing some more searching, I
found some old posts suggesting that app.rpt directly supports the
TM-V700A with it's remote functions, but with possible issues. This
relates to ASL. So, my questions are:

1. Should I try implementing app.rpt's TM-V700A support, or use Hamlib
to drive it instead?

2. A common reported issue is that, with old versions of app.rpt, the
Kenwood would apparently not pass audio until Asterisk was restarted if
using iaxrpt. I plan to use iaxrpt and other full duplex methods locally
to use the remote base. Is this still an issue with current HamVoIP
versions of app.rpt with these radios if using the built-in remote
functions?

I must say, I like the idea of not relying on the radio's memories and
programming everything directly using rpt.conf, but not sure if I should
rely on the built-in functionality or not. This just happens to be one
of the few radios it supports, as I understand it.

Thanks for any advice.