[arm-allstar] "Call CQ" Feature for AllStar

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sat May 8 14:45:55 EDT 2021

I guess my question is: Why does AllStar need this feature??

Why not just use an Echolink client to connect to other Echolink
stations who are calling CQ??  Is this feature realistically useful? ..Or,
just a passing fad?

Implementing this feature isn't as simple as just picking random
registered nodes from the rpt_extnodes file or similar!  Many AllStar hubs
already won't allow general echolink connections due to the "drive-by"
problems with echolink nodes that quickly and randomly connect and
disconnect. Providing a new AllStar "feature" to easily allow AllStar
"drive-bys" won't make happy users (including me)!

Properly implementing an AllStar "calling CQ" feature might be implemented
via a cloud-based database which constantly maintains a pool of users
"calling CQ," which others could then connect to.  Probably this wouldn't
be too hard to implement, but again, I question the realistic usefulness.
And, whether it's a passing fad.

73, David KB4FXC

On Sat, 8 May 2021, "Chris Smart via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> I'll repeat his question. 😉

"Would this be a difficult feature to implement in AllStar?"