[arm-allstar] ARM-allstar Digest, Vol 82, Issue 22

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sat Mar 20 00:04:21 EDT 2021

Patrick,

The FIR low-pass filter that HamVoIP uses is a "brick wall" type filter;
within practical computational limits, of course.  The filter corner
frequency is about 3500Hz. However, the initial attenuation slope is
gradual, being down by about 10dB at 3800Hz. As you get to 3940Hz the
downward slope is now nearly vertical. The ultimate attenuation is greater
than 68dB, reaching or exceeding that level of attenuation between 3990Hz
and 24KHz.

Voice grade CODECs readily take advantage of this extra "fidelity" and
sound great!

73, David KB4FXC