[arm-allstar] Voltage

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sat Jan 30 12:35:42 EST 2021

Hi Tony,

Yes, you can easily check the RPi voltage remotely, but, this isn't the
best approach. The RPi under-voltage check already tells you that you've
got a serious problem and SD card corruption or a system crash could
happen at any time.  In fact, SD card corruption might have already
occurred when you see the RPi undervoltage warnings.

For my RPi boards, I use a small LM2596 DC-DC converter boards, as have
been mentioned several times. In my case, these converters have
nominally about 8V to 21V input and provide a high quality 5V output over
the whole input voltage range.  If on batteries, my input should never
drop below about 12.5V. If/when the input does drop below 12.0V, I
initiate a shutdown on the RPi boards.

So, what you really need is a input voltage monitoring solution, which
will trigger and cause shutdown, long before you start getting RPi
under-voltage alarms.

73, David KB4FXC