[arm-allstar] Running asterisk CLI as a non-root user (and not with sudo)

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Jan 28 13:06:47 EST 2021

Jeremy,

I don't recommend this type change, since your changes will inadvertently
get clobbered with updates. This also potentially opens other direct
security concerns.

sudo is updated, as of yesterday, resolving the recently publicized
security concerns.

73, David KB4FXC

On Thu, 28 Jan 2021, "Jeremy georges via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> Hi folks,
I want to run the asterisk CLI as a non-root user... and I do not want the user to run Asterisk CLI with sudo.
It appears that as long as I set /var/run/asterisk.ctl with the correct permissions, it works just fine.
I set world to read/write. But I'm thinking of changing the group from root to users.
srwxrwxrwx 1 root root 0 Jan 28 09:37 /var/run/asterisk.ctl
Any concerns with this - as in do I break something else?

What else looks at /var/run/asterisk.ctl? Is it just the Asterisk CLI or are there other components(such as ixa2)  that look at this file for permissions?
Thanks,
-J