[arm-allstar] Hamvoip on CM4 Compute Module

Dave k7dmk at cox.net
Wed Jan 20 17:37:17 EST 2021

I have been attempting to run v1.6 on the new Pi4 version of the neat
little compute module mounted on the official CM4-IO board. I like this
physical configuration because all the connectors including the SD card
are mounted along one edge of the PCB, making a proper metal rack mount
controller much easier to construct. The I/O board also has an on-board
RTC and POE, along with full size HDMI ports instead of the fiddly
micro-HDMI's on a PI4.

The first issue is that the compute module, like the newest Pi4 and
Pi400 keyboard models, supports USB boot by default. Apparently this
configuration does not like the standard boot loader. It refused to boot
on either a CM4-Lite using the usual uSD card, or a CM4 with a eMMC
module flashed with the stock distro. I temporarily solved the boot
problem by downloading the latest Arch RasPi image, copying the contents
of the boot partition, and over-writing the standard start.elf and the
other boot files. It boots now and is running the latest kernel7. I'm
going to investigate this more to narrow the cause, but for now it boots.

The second problem is proving more elusive. On the CM4-IO board, the USB
hub and ports are disabled by default to save power.  The documentation
explains this and recommends adding the command "
dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host" to the config.txt to enable the USB. This
seems to work properly in Raspbian, but not in Arch. I suspect (?) the
problem is in one or more of the overlay files in the /boot directly not
supporting the new hardware. The ports stay powered down, and issuing a
lsusb -t command shows no USB hub or devices.

I'm not sure exactly how to approach this issue.  Not much info out
there yet on these new boards. Anyone have suggestions?

Dave, K7DMK