[arm-allstar] Boot from Raspberry Pi 3B+ USB Stick

Jeff Hochberg jeff at w4jew.com
Fri Jan 1 18:16:35 EST 2021

Hi David,

Thanks for your reply. That's a valid point about the power supply. We
currently have a RPi 3B at our primary repeater site running Raspberry Pi
OS and svxlink - as our EchoLink server.

It's been horribly unstable and I've questioned if it was the SD card or
the power supply. We've replaced the SD card 3 times, yet we still continue
to have stability issues. I applied updates to the Pi yesterday, rebooted
it, and it will not come back online. We have an APC remote
manageable power strip at the site, so I can power cycle the Pi remotely.
I've tried power cycling it several times to no avail.

Right before you replied, I decided to abandon the USB stick boot effort
and went back to using a SanDisk Ultra SD card.

Sorry to go sideways on the thread.... I'm new to AllStar and under the gun
to get things going.

At this point, I've decided to build a new RPi (3B+) running the Hamvoip
image, then enabling the EchoLink module. We do have an AllStar Node ID but
have never used it before.

For what it's worth - we have a USB audio card from Repeater Builder - IRRC
(C-Media chipset) that's connected to the svxlink box, then that goes to
our RLC controller.

I have a USB sound card here (also with a C-Media chipset - I believe the
exact same chipset), so I'm going through the setup process hoping that
when I remove the USB sound card I'm using temporarily and replace it with
the production USB sound card, that all will work well.

Does this sound like an OK approach? Are others using the Hamvoip image to
connect into a controller as opposed to directly to a radio?

At this point, we're mostly concerned with getting EchoLink back online but
would love to start offering AllStar as well, hence the switch from svxlink.

Thanks so much for responding on New Years Day!!!

Best Regards,

-JeffH

Georgia Digital: http://dmr.georgiadigital.net/ipsc
GeorgiaDMR.net on Groups.io: https://groups.io/g/GeorgiaDMR