[arm-allstar] Boot from Raspberry Pi 3B+ USB Stick

Jeff Hochberg jeff at w4jew.com
Fri Jan 1 17:38:23 EST 2021

I'd much rather run the Pi off USB storage as I've found it to be much more
reliable than running off an SD card.

Has anyone been able to install the RPI image then boot from a USB stick
instead of SD card?

I installed the 1.6 image (via dd) to both an SD card and a USB stick.

I also installed Raspberry Pi OS to a DIFFERENT SD card and DIFFERENT USB
stick. I was able to confirm that the Pi 3B+ will boot from the USB stick
running Raspberry Pi OS.

I found some articles that cover making a couple of changes to cmdline.txt
(change root to root=/devsda2) and /etc/fstab (change boot to /dev/sda1),
but the Pi simply won't boot.

I do see a flurry of disk activity on the USB stick at first, then the
green LED on the Pi flashes 2 or 3 times in rapid succession, followed by a
delay, followed by flashing 2 or 3 times in rapid succession (and so on).

Any thoughts?

Georgia Digital: http://dmr.georgiadigital.net/ipsc
GeorgiaDMR.net on Groups.io: https://groups.io/g/GeorgiaDMR
Appalachian Trail Golden Packet: https://atgp.groups.io/g/main