[arm-allstar] Argon1 Fan Hat / RPi4

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed May 13 19:54:44 EDT 2020

Hi John,

That control script could be made to work, but, this seems like more of
a experimenter's project than a "production" cooling solution. I guess it
depends on what you're wanting to use the RPi4B for?  Another factor is
that my experience with low-cost fans has been poor---they tend to have
poor reliability in the long run (bearing problems, sometimes due to the
lubricant used).

In my experience for an RPi4B running AllStar, you really need a good
passive cooler on the SoC/CPU chip, which integrates out the thermal
spikes. I've not found that any other chips on the boards require
addtional cooling measures.  Finally, add a little forced air cooling--it
doesn't take much. I typically use "waste air" from the case fans on
transmitters / Power Amps.

BTW, if you happen to be looking for some nice quality 120V fans, I've had
very good results with these, from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009OWRMZ6/

73, David KB4FXC