[arm-allstar] Audio processing, was Re: cdm1250 transmit audio

Patrick Perdue borrisinabox at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 00:23:02 EST 2020

The entire system runs at 8 kHz sampling rate. Even if the rate was
increased, there is filtering happening in app.rpt. Doug could give you
more details about exactly how that low pass filter works.

As you're going through two radios to get to the network, if you're not
using a radio-less node or something like iaxrpt, which has it's own
non-defeatable high pass filter, each of those radios will apply their
own characteristics.

Using the G7RPG microhub and it's Baofeng node vs. my Motorola SM50, I
can say that the Motorola does let some more highs through in both
directions, but not all that much, even on simplex when monitored
through discriminator output with an SDR. It is definitely better on the
low end for both receiving and transmitting, and has a much, much lower
noise floor on the audio path. Re the Motorola, I wish I could turn off
all the software filtering of SimpleUSB, notch out my PL tone frequency,
and let it roar, but when I tried that, DTMF detection totally failed.
Just using an old Wouxun HT, people did notice a difference when I took
the PL filter away, especially those with good speakers, but most people
probably wouldn't care.

I have also plugged an Alinco EMS-57 clone microphone into my URI,
unfortunately without the added op-amp of the URI or another preamp to
get it closer to line level, so I had to turn RXBoost on and menu 2 to
999 just to be heard, and the mic doesn't sound that great anyway, but
you do get the idea that it's a fuller sound.

I'd like to use a better mic and some processing, but that's a project
for when I actually have a permanent place to live, I.E. not now.