[arm-allstar] Tx/Rx Timeout Revisited

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 00:01:37 EDT 2020

A note on timeouts as I think there may be some confusion about them.
Hamvoip has BOTH TX and RX timeouts. In addition most radios also have TX
timeouts.

Since most repeaters typically have 3 minute timeouts the TX timeout in
Hamvoip is often set to 3 minutes. Times are in milliseconds so this would
be 180000.  The RX timeout is used to protect a channel from a errant
lockup due to someone either inadvertently or purposely holding key down
(COS keyed). This is generally set to some value greater than 3 minutes.
When this happens the RXKEY to the world is dropped until it clears. This
essentially takes this node offline until the problem is cleared freeing
other connections to operate normally.

Hardware TX timeouts are set in your rig and would be a backup to the SW TX
timeout Hamvoip provides. They are typically set to something greater than
the SW timeout, say  4 minutes in the above case.

RX and TX timeouts are settable in rpt.conf and have millisecond resolution
which is way more than needed but very accurate.