[arm-allstar] RX Audio only heard when Flashing Red LED is in ON State

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Mon Jul 13 01:31:33 EDT 2020

Whoa! If you've got 9V on the 5V bus, you'll be very very lucky if that
controller isn't toast!  Even if it continues to work for now, there may
be damage that'll show up later, at an inconvenient time.

I guess the regulator in question is a 7805 family linear regulator?
Those chips are incredibly reliable. My next question is: why did it fail?

73, David KB4FXC

On Mon, 13 Jul 2020, "Joshua Hatton via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> Lou, you just may be onto something, sir.

5V Regulator is measuring 8.94VDC out... 13.8VDC In, obviously.......
I'll be d...ang.  Well, sir, you're owed a beer.  Sometimes it's not
at all what you expect.  The regulator is the LAST thing I'd expect.
I wouldn't have the time to look up each and every chip and IC in the
unit, but obviously nearly 9Vcc is not a "problem" operation-wise for
the CPU.

(Not excusing the high Vcc, only talking through the issue)

The Darlington transistor IC that takes in the COR will handle up to
30Vcc Input and 50V output....However, the next component in the COR
line is an EEPROM chip...it only wants Vcc of 5VDC at +/5%...
(hello!!)........ Next is the 8-bit CMOS, and I believe it's Vcc is
the actual supply voltage.  I would say that there is definitely
instability due to the near 9V across the board rather than 5V.

I think I will order regulators!  Thank you sir