[arm-allstar] modifying write-node-callsigns script

Patrick Perdue borrisinabox at gmail.com
Tue Jan 28 03:10:10 EST 2020

This is true. What I am proposing is to basically make a new version of
that script which doesn't use any of the pre-existing sound files, but
rather, creates a new one by passing the callsign string through some
formatting directly to a TTS engine, putting a space after every
character in the callsign field before it is sent to the TTS.

What I eventually would love to do after building a few sound packs
using different TTS voices is offer a public directory through rsync for
each of several voices, keeping things up-to-date, with a file in the
main /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/ or /var/lib/asterisk/sounds/rpt directory
that can be used as a reference, in combination with a script that pulls
new nodenames with rsync, to get files matching your currently installed
sound pack so that voices are consistent.

My ultimate goal is to make everything more efficient by replacing
Allison and cutting down on TX time per utterance, while maintaining
intelligibility.