[arm-allstar] Adding a hub node to existing node

kg5rdf kg5rdf at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 01:56:18 EST 2020

At the moment I have 23 nodes on the hub, 10 are co-located. I have 50/50 for internet. In inclement weather can have 40 nodes and 48 repeaters connected. The better half is recording TV shows all day and usually 4 at a time. Have camera alarm system, 4 computers, 2 phones, 4 Ruko, 3 Comcasts...etc. The hub is a pi3 only, non turbo mode. Its never missed a beat!!KG5RDFwww.kg5rdf.com/kg5rdf
-------- Original message --------From: Doug Crompton via ARM-allstar <arm-allstar at hamvoip.org> Date: 1/20/20  11:10 PM  (GMT-06:00) To: ARM Allstar <arm-allstar at hamvoip.org> Cc: Doug Crompton <wa3dsp at gmail.com> Subject: Re: [arm-allstar] Adding a hub node to existing node While not all areas in the US have good Internet which is reallyunfortunate given our technology those that do are often getting increasingbandwidth and quality over time. I started out like most everyone else thathas been here for awhile with dialup, then DSL, then cable. My cable was<20Mb when I first got it as the lowest tier. It is now well over 100mb asthe lowest tier.This perception that you need tremendous bandwidth to run voip is false.You need reliable bandwidth more than anything. VOIP does not buffer sowhile streaming or web browsing might work fine with packet loss VOIP willnot. Since the trend is to VOIP for telephones which also doesn't bufferproviders have to be more concerned about packet loss and in generalquality has gone noticeably up over the last 10 years.I say all this because in most cases there is no need to run even largerhubs at data centers unless you do not have access to reliable Internet.You would be surprised to know just how little bandwidth VOIP takescompared to streaming video or downloading large files. If bandwidth is anissue you should be using the G726 codec instead of ulaw which takesroughly 3 times the bandwidth and the audio quality difference oncommunications channels would be hard to differentiate.And finally while many seem to have the perception that ASL and Hamvoip aresimilar animals that is far from true in 2020. When we first started as aspinoff of Asterisk in 2014 the flavors were very much alike althoughcustomized for the then Beagle Bone Black. A Year later we produced thefirst Pi version and ever since continual changes, bug fixes, featureadditions, etc. make the current version of Hamvoip significantly differentand in many case completely different than ASL in both features andreliability.Reliability in particular in Hamvoip is several orders of magnitude betterwith hundreds of bug fixes over its lifetime. This is something that isvery important to us. While competitor systems require or often do constantrebooting under heavier loads Hamvoip does not. Outside problems are alsoan issue. The Allstar registration and status servers are not and have notbeen reliable for quite some time while the Hamvoip DNS and registrationserver is to this date 100% reliable. One of the problems is loading. Thenumber of registered nodes has gone up at a tremendous rate over the lastseveral years and that is not slowing down. The Hamvoip registration serverwas built to handle many times the current load. So while you might thinkit is great to have a data center ASL system in fact it might be better tohave a Hamvoip system on the outside given the fact that it ain't gonnawork if you can't register or the system is constantly crashing! It wouldbe even better to have a Pi Hamvoip system at a data center if you canbring your own hardware or lease one that is there. I understand many arenow allowing this. Do not under estimate the power of the Pi4. It is a realworkhorse.*73 Doug**WA3DSP**http://www.crompton.com/hamradio <http://www.crompton.com/hamradio>*On Mon, Jan 20, 2020 at 5:48 PM "Patrick Perdue via ARM-allstar" <arm-allstar at hamvoip.org> wrote:> Likewise, I'm running a stock ASL node (50631) on a $5/month Linode,> which is working great. I'm pretty sure all connected nodes are hamvoip> distributions. While I have a Gigabit symmetric internet connection at> my house, I feel better about putting a hub on a higher tear of service> just because ISPs generally tend to peer better with data centers than> home connections, regardless of how much available bandwidth they may have.>> I keep a couple of nodes connected with the permanent connection method,> no need for Cron jobs. If the connection drops, it will be> re-established when things work again, at least this has been my> experience.>>> On 1/20/2020 2:46 PM, "KY220GROUP--- via ARM-allstar" wrote:> > Mike I'm running my hub #49799 at vultr.com. Works great for me for> five bucks a month. I don't have to worry about firewalls and incoming> connections to either of my repeaters. I set a cron job to auto-connect> from each repeater node to the hub every 30 minutes in case of a problem,> most connects are done on the hub for distribution to my 220 and 440> repeaters and soon my 2 meter repeater. Echolink is ran on the hub also> with the call kk4wh-r. It works well for a hub at places where you use a> cell connection or can only have an outbound connection. I also think that> the RPi hub that Doug mentioned is an excellent idea.> >> > 73> > Tim Webb - KK4WH(606)909-2094> >> >      On Saturday, January 18, 2020, 11:24:28 PM EST, Doug Crompton via> ARM-allstar <arm-allstar at hamvoip.org> wrote:> >> >   Mike,> >> >   You could do it with a second node on that server but personally I> like to> > separate the HW especially as cheap as it is. In this case the cost of> > another Pi and power supply. One would run your repeater and the other> the> > hub that could be connected to the repeater if desired. This also gives> > better redundancy and is easier to maintain.> >> >> > *73 Doug*> >> > *WA3DSP*> >> > *http://www.crompton.com/hamradio <http://www.crompton.com/hamradio>*> >> > On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 9:59 PM "Mike Sullivan via ARM-allstar" <> > arm-allstar at hamvoip.org> wrote:> >> >> I'm planning on NNX'ing our club's repeater node and making x0 a> headless> >> hub, with x1 as the repeater. The hub will be used to link the area> nodes> >> as we bring them online for nets and such. What is the easiest way to go> >> about adding a node that is just acting as a connection point? Or would> I> >> be better off using a second Pi for the connection?> >>> >> Mike> >> _______________________________________________> >>> >> ARM-allstar mailing list> >> ARM-allstar at hamvoip.org> >> http://lists.hamvoip.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/arm-allstar> >>> >> Visit the BBB and RPi2/3/4 web page - http://hamvoip.org> >>> > _______________________________________________> >> > ARM-allstar mailing list> > ARM-allstar at hamvoip.org> > http://lists.hamvoip.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/arm-allstar> >> > Visit the BBB and RPi2/3/4 web page - http://hamvoip.org> >> > _______________________________________________> >> > ARM-allstar mailing list> > ARM-allstar at hamvoip.org> > http://lists.hamvoip.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/arm-allstar> >> > Visit the BBB and RPi2/3/4 web page - http://hamvoip.org> _______________________________________________>> ARM-allstar mailing list> ARM-allstar at hamvoip.org> http://lists.hamvoip.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/arm-allstar>> Visit the BBB and RPi2/3/4 web page - http://hamvoip.org>_______________________________________________ARM-allstar mailing listARM-allstar at hamvoip.orghttp://lists.hamvoip.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/arm-allstarVisit the BBB and RPi2/3/4 web page - http://hamvoip.org