[arm-allstar] Weather script updates are out

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 12 20:57:37 EST 2020

The weather scripts  weather.sh and wx_condition.sh have been updated with
RPi 2-3-4 version 1-6-08 to accept and work with the new wundergound (IBM)
json format for home weather stations. The prior format was xml.

This updates the two scripts and also the two ini files which if you
previously changed you will need to do so again. They are very simple ini
files so no big deal.  The api key is blank in the two files. If you do not
intend to use wunderground then they can be left blank. This update also
installs the package jq which is a command line json reader.

I believe I have all the bases covered but it was a substantial change and
if there are other things that need to be done they will be. Users that
want to use wunderground station reporting must get an api key from the web
site -

https://www.wunderground.com/member/api-keys

I have two stations and I had previously been registered so it was easy to
get an api key at this site. Once you have the key you should cut and
paste, or accurately copy it to the api_Key=  variables in
/etc/asterisl/local/weather.ini and wx_condition.ini files.  The two
scripts should otherwise work the same. Running the scripts without any
parameters will give parameter examples.

Three parameters have been added - precipitation rate, solar radiation and
UV level for wundergound stations that provide those values.

Since I have stations and contribute data I was able to get the api key
very easily. I am not sure if you have to be a contributing member to get a
key.  Obviously the scripts will work with other services like the National
Weather Service and using airport and zip codes if you cannot get a key.

Please let me know how this is working for you if you use it.