[arm-allstar] Help need with new nodes

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 11:11:34 EST 2020

To explain this further....

There are two registration systems currently running, Allstar and Hamvoip.
Everyone has an Allstar registration who has a public node number. Hamvoip
registrations have been handed out manually for over the last year and at
this point thousands have them. Thy operate differently.

Registrations and the iax port (bindport) are defined in the
/etc/asterisk/iax.conf file.

Allstar registrations look like this -  register =>
xxxxx:yyyyyy at register.allstarlink.org

   Where  the x's are the node number and the y's are the node password.
The password length can vary in length

Hamvoip registrations look like this -  register=xxxxx#
4569:yyyyyyyyyyyyyy at register.hamvoip.org

   Where the x'x are the node number followed by a fixed # then the iax
port. y's are the 14 alphanumeric node password.

The iax port by default is 4569 but if you have more than one server (Pi)
on the same public IP each one should have its own iax port. This is
defined in the bindport statement in the [general] stanza.

[general]
bindport=4569

Using the Allstar registration system the bindport MUST be set BOTH in the
bindport statement in iax.conf and at the server settings at allstarlink.org.
If they do no match things will not work! Other nodes trying to connect TO
you get the IP and Port information from what is published at your server
settings at allstarlink.org!

If you have a Hamvoip registration the port is published in the
registration statement and except in rare cases the bindport and the port
in the registration statement should match.  Thus if you were using just a
Hamvoip registration you could change your iax port simply by changing
these two lines in you iax.conf file and restarting.

Hamvoip registration uses DNS lookup. So when your node registers with
Hamvoip BOTH your IP address and your port are immediately put into the
database and within seconds other nodes have your information and can
connect.

Also as often mentioned the Allstar registration system is and has been
flaky. Sometimes not registering a node, sometimes registering and not
publishing data for the node or publishing inaccurate data. Fortunately if
you have both registrations and you and connecting to another Hamvoip node
with both registrations the Hamvoip registration takes precedence and all
should work well.