[arm-allstar] 2 nodes on pi, audio goes out 1 node

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Aug 6 10:19:28 EDT 2020

Hi Alan,

How is 64bit linux realistically going to help??

Going to a 64bit OS has some drawbacks. For example, the downloaded distro
would be perhaps 50% bigger in size. Further, there are really no
performance improvements to be found when running an application like
Asterisk/AllStar, which already takes advantage of the ARM 64bit math
enhancements via gcc compiler instructions, when needed.

I know some "benchmarks" found on youtube, etc., show significant
improvements between 32bit and 64bit code on the RPi3/4 boards. In every
case, these benchmarks are EXPLICITLY performing 64bit math intensive
operations or accessing large amounts (more than 2GB) of memory....This
isn't applicable to the Asterisk/HamVoIP code, which fits very
comfortably in a 32bit footprint.

BTW, note that currently the only supported USB sound fob are C-Media
CM108 and CM119 family devices. The Creative Sound Blaster Play 3 board
isn't currently supported hardware.

73, David KB4FXC