[arm-allstar] Adding a real-time clock (i2c etc) to arch Linux all Star?

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Oct 16 15:01:30 EDT 2019

Hi Tony,

Thanks for following up on this!  I, too, purchased a couple of these RTC
boards to experiment with and found they seem to work great.

I've tested and can confirm they work on an RPi3B and RPi4B. What's
remarkable to me is that the RTC time was only off by under 1 second, just
as received from the seller! Wow!

HOWEVER, the setup script doesn't quite work work with a stock-install of
HamVoIP...The main problem is that it doesn't get the device overlay setup
in /boot/config.txt because there is no device_tree_param in the file
initially....So, sed (in the script) has nothing to replace!  For a stock
install, just add the statement with:

echo 'device_tree_param=i2c_arm=on >> "/boot/config.txt"

If there is interest, I'll put together a hamvoip package for this??

73, David KB4FXC

On Wed, 16 Oct 2019, "Tony Ross via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> On 10/2/19 1:55 PM, "Kvo via ARM-allstar" wrote:
> > I have attempted to ( quite unsuccessfully) add a hardware rtc (i2c) module to my raspberry pi running the Arch Linux image.
> > Can someone guide me to the correct steps?
>
> Since the GPIO pins are open on George's "Yellowbox", I decided to
> install http://amazon.com/gp/product/B01M105UFC which uses a DS3231
> clock chip. The included battery maintains time during power-off states,
> very useful for when Internet isn't available for "fakehwclock"
> synchronization at boot time, allowing a correct timestamp in the log files.
>
> The following script worked perfectly for installation, and will most
> likely also install your RTC:

<snip>