[arm-allstar] Radio-less allstar node

Mark G Thomas Mark at Misty.com
Sun Nov 17 10:16:04 EST 2019

Hi Don,

I recently built a radio-less node using a RA-42. It was a fun project.
As with any such project I learned things and had to make revisions
along the way to get the results I wanted. I am proud of how it turned
out. Here are some notes that might help you. I will also post a link to
some pictures in the near future.

The RA-42 doesn't have enough gain on it's audio input for a typical
mic, so I used a SSM2167 mic pre-amp board ($3.80 with free shipping
from China) to provide the Mic pre-amplification, compression and a
noise gate. Note, the provided documentation with mine had the two
controlling resistor functions switched -- Knowing which one is the
compression and which is the noise gate is important! I removed the two
tiny SMD resistors and replaced them with tiny trim-pots, which fit in
holes in the PCB. I figured out the correct resistor functions by
looking at the traces and IC pin functions.

I first tried some cheaper audio amplifiers, but even running off the
unregulated 12VDC power input, before my regulator circuit, the 1W
TDA2822M audio amps I first tried didn't have enough kick, so I ended up
using the TDA2030A board ($9.26) and the best speaker I could find that
would fit in my case. I extended both line and speaker level audio to
rear panel jacks, with the speaker jack switching the internally mounted
speaker.

I first tried using "buck" switching voltage regulators, but couldn't
keep the switching noise off the DC supply and out of the audio, so
ended up to using the LM338K Linear (non-switching) regulator, with a
trimmer from my junk-box to adjust the output voltage. Since I used a
Pi3B+, it really needed 5.2VDC at the Pi, even with thick-as-possible
wires directly to the Pi GPIO DC pin and ground. Note the LM338K did
need to be mounted on aluminum chassis panel for heat sinking. I mounted
the Pi so it's ethernet and one pair of stacked USB jacks are accessible
from the rear of my device.

The HMN 1053A Motorola Mic I like requires DC bias, so a 470 ohm
resistor to +5VDC worked. I changed the Mic connector to an RJ45,
crimp-connector and used a panel mount RJ45 jack. I connected the PTT
wire from the Mic to the COS input on the RA-42. I connected the PTT
output from the RA-42 to a front-panel LED, through a current limiting
resistor.

My Pi was mounted such that the SD slot was inaccessible, so I found
using the 10cm cable to extend that connector up to top of the Pi with
double-stick foam tape, makes the necessary occasional card access
considerably easier. Be careful--longer extender cables I tried first
meant my SD card kept getting corrupted. The trick was the super-short
FPC cable.

I did not want to have to extend the HDMI connector from the Pi, and far
prefer a serial port to HDMI for emergency Pi console access, so I used
a tiny MAX2323 3.3VDC to RS-232 adapter, and configured the Pi config to
use the serial port for console, mounted on the rear of my small chassis.

I mounted a row of small toggle switches and LEDs on the front of the
chassis, to show power, Pi activity, extended heartbeat and other LEDs
from the RA-42 PCB, and TX/RX status. I also left a couple switches and
LEDs for future use via GPIO pins. LEDs also indicate RA-42 COS (TX mic
key) and RA-42 PTT (RX) state.

I found the USB connectors, jumper cable, and DB9 made the Pi and RA-42
footprint much larger, so I removed these connectors and used pin
headers and dupont connectors to interconnect the USB between the Pi and
RA-42, and for the mic and amp wiring to the RA-42.

E-bay parts list, for things not found in my junk box:

Micro SD TF Memory Card Kit Male to Female Extension Flat FPC Cable 10cm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/122110484793

1pc. 3-inch 4-watt 8-ohm Amp Speaker by PUI Audio
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183684534474

LM338K 1.2-30V Adjustable Voltage Regulator 5A TO-3
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163627843571

DYNACO HAFLER OTHERS TO-3 TRANSISTOR SOCKET  (Used for LM338K regulator)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283424931901

BIVAR 5MM LED HOLDERS, CR174, CLIP & RING, NEW (200 pcs)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/282855732037

Motolola DTMF moble microphone HMN 1053A

NEW - Assmann WSW Components A-RJ45KU-R Waterproof Panel Mount Jack -
Set of 5
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163454129578

5 x 5K OHM TRIMPOT TRIMMER POTENTIOMETER 3296W 3296 (Used to replace
resistor on SSM2167 PCB)

5 x 200K OHM TRIMPOT TRIMMER POTENTIOMETER 3296W 3296 (Used to replace
resistor on SSM2167 PCB)

SSM2167 Microphone Preamplifier Board Preamp COMP Compression Module DC
3V-5V
https://www.ebay.com/itm/332468614881

US Stock TDA2030A TDA2030 Mono 15W 12V AC/DC Audio Amplifier Board
One-channel
https://www.ebay.com/itm/391757170167

MAX3232 RS232 Serial Port to TTL Converter Module COM Serial Board With
Dupont Cable
(works with 3.3V Pi GPIO TX/RX lines)

Mark  Thomas (KC3DRE)

--
Mark G Thomas <Mark at Misty.com>, KC3DRE