[arm-allstar] RPi 4B 4GB USB problem

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Mon Nov 11 13:19:10 EST 2019

Hi Will,

There aren't any issues with the RPi4B boards that I'm aware of. I've got
several of them here, including a couple of the latest 4GB models. In
fact, I'm using 4GB boards for all software development now, so they get a
good workout! I do like the REAL gigabit Ethernet!

There are some things to consider. The RPi4B has 2 USB2 ports and 2 USB3
ports. If you're having USB problems, make sure to use only the USB2 ports
and see if that resolves the issue.  USB3 interfaces can cause problems
with some devices, particularly older USB peripherals!

The USB2 ports are those farthest from the network interface.

As always, make sure you've got a sufficiently robust power supply.

73, David KB4FXC

On Mon, 11 Nov 2019, "Will Olendy via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> Good Morning, I just subscribed to the email forum, hope this is the
right spot to ask questions! Forgive me for the long paragraphs but
it’s the only way I can describe this strange problem I’m having I
can’t seem to find any info anywhere for it with a google search.

> I purchased a new RPi4B 4GB unit to migrate my simplex nodes over to
from an older RPi 2. The image I am using is the latest Hamvoip 1.6 image
for Pi2,3 and 4B. Everything loads and boots fine as far as I can tell.
The USB fobs I am using for radio functions on both nodes  are modified
CM-108 USB sound fobs from Amazon with the proper CM-108 chip.

> After setting up my primary node parameters in the first time script
for 49993 everything works fine and my previous extra settings I simply
manually filled in, in the bash shell from the various .conf files from
my Pi2. These work (custom courtesy tones) and its back to business for
my first node at least, now on to the secondary node... 49994

> I modify and fill in the spots for my secondary node activation and USB
recognition, Including simpleusb.conf and rpt.conf then plug the second
USB fob into another of the Pi4B’s 4 USB ports, observing the red LED
illuminating but not flashing yet to indicate its inactive. The primary
node USB fob is active and flashing the LED quickly to indicate its
active.

> Upon sending an “astres.sh” command and observing the unit reboot
the asterisk service, the primary node USB fob stops flashing quickly and
goes to a slower flash and has no Tx audio sending through the radio,
just a carrier. PTT and COS work fine but NO AUDIO. The secondary node
fob I just configured for starts flashing quickly and everything’s
working for the second node including audio in and out. For some reason I
cannot get this Pi4B to properly operate 2 nodes, one per USB fob in each
of the USB ports. Either one or the other doesn’t work and the opposite
works fine. UNTIL I plug in a 4 port USB Hub in one of the USB ports and
plug a sound fob in there, then both start working fine. But once I
unplug the USB hub and plug the second fob back in, one goes back to no
audio and this one works fine, the CLI client properly sees each USB fob
and assigns it the simpleUSBtune.config file that it should. The first
USB is labeled “usb” and the second one is labeled “usb1”.

> I am stumped and this is a problem as I bought this Pi4B for better
multitasking capabilities and it will not properly run 2 nodes
simultaneously due to some unknown USB condition I didn’t have with the
Pi2. In fact my Pi2 ran 3 of my simplex nodes simultaneously with few
issues that I noted.

> Is there an issue with the current USB kernel for the Pi4B on Hamvoip?
I see there was one for Ubuntu but that’s it.

ARM-allstar at hamvoip.org