[arm-allstar] troubleshooting two nodes that can't connect

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Sat Nov 9 17:23:05 EST 2019

I think there is some confusion....

The [genera] stanza (with bindport=) goes in the iax.conf file.

However, the [nodes] stanza (below) goes in the rpt.conf file.  In
general, unless you're setting up local and/or private nodes, you don't
want to put public info in the [nodes] stanza.

If you're getting "not found!" message in the asterisk log on your ASL
box, that probably means the connecting node isn't in the ASL nodelist.
This is a common problem, since most systems retrieve updates only every
15 minutes (or even longer).

HamVoIP systems don't typically use the nodelist method of distributing
node data. Rather, custom DNS lookups are performed. The HamVoIP DNS
system gets updated continuously (realistically about every 5 seconds).
So, when a HamVoIP node comes on-line, it can typically connect in only a
few seconds (usually less than 1 minute).

73, David KB4FXC

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019, "Patrick Perdue via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> OK, so I'm a little confused here.

This appears to be the procedure for routing private to public nodes, or
between private nodes on the same machine, which I'm not doing.

I guess I could define these and see what happens, but that doesn't fix
the actual problem.

Clearly, some people can't connect to my node as normal without any
defined route in iax.conf, which shouldn't be necessary in the first
place, as this is a public node (the only one defined on this machine,
in fact,) though most can. It seems this is primarily an issue with
newer node numbers. Some clear nodes with older node numbers can connect
just fine, so it's not strictly a problem with the configuration at the
other end. Also, they can connect to my hamvoip node just fine (50368)
but not my stock ASL (50631.)

So, I'll define these lines in iax.conf for these specific nodes, but
surely this will come up again, and I don't want to go around manually
making exceptions for every node that can't connect because they are
"not found!" according to 50631. Surely, something else is going on here.

On 11/9/2019 2:38 PM, "larry via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> Patrick ....Might I ask, Have you checked these things on the nodes
> that will not connect?
>
> Check your iax.conf file...
>
> [general]
> bindport= 4569 make the second nodes server be a different iax port
> number (ie 4568)
>
> Assign different iax bindport port numbers for each different server
> on the same LAN. Set Port Forwarding in your router to forward
> incoming traffic to the proper IP for each of those assigned ports.
>
> Nodes will not connect inbound if the individual node's iax port is
> not correct. You can connect outbound to other nodes but incoming
> connects will fail.
>
> Also in many instances ... if running multiple Servers with nodes on
> the same LAN you need enlightened rpt.conf [nodes] section on each
> node of the opposite nodes existence. (Some router don't need this but
> most do.)
>
> [nodes]
> ; Note, if you are using automatic updates for allstar link nodes,
> ; no allstar link nodes should be defined here. Only place a definition
> ; for your local (within your LAN) nodes, and private (off of allstar
> ; link) nodes here.
>
> 50663 = radio at 127.0.0.1:4569/50663,NONE
> 1999 = radio at 127.0.0.1/1999,NONE
> 50531 = radio at 192.168.x.x:4568/50531,NONE -192.168 x.x = your LAN IP
>
> On the 50531 nodes Server add needed info for 50663 at the bottom of
> it's rpt.conf [nodes] section if you haven't already done this.
>
> Restart Asterisk  astres.sh or reboot each server for their changes to
> take effect.
>
> See if that helps.
>
> Larry - N7FM
>

> On 11/9/19 9:30 AM, "Patrick Perdue via ARM-allstar" wrote:
>> 50631 is directly connected to the internet. The other two are behind
>> NAT, and I don't think they work inbound anyway. 50631 definitely
>> should, though.
>>

>> On 11/9/2019 10:41 AM, "Tony Ross via ARM-allstar" wrote:
>>> All 3 nodes exist in the database:
>>>
>>> # grep -E "50663|50631|50531" /var/log/asterisk/astdb.txt
>>> 50531|N1JBC|433.500|Barrington RI
>>> 50631|blind hams hub|<None>|Newark, NJ