[arm-allstar] link radios for an allstar node

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 21:12:29 EDT 2019

Rick,

 When using the simpleusb channel driver which we primarily use any radio
that you can access PTT, COS, Audio in and Audio out can be used. We often
use modified Baofeng handhelds but there are many ham and commercial radios
that would work also. The one that is often used and easiest to connect to
is the Alinco DR-x35 single band series radios. They are available for 6
meters, 2 meters, 222mhs, and 440mhz. They have a nine pin D connector on
the back that will directly interface to any FOB. TYT makes a clone of
these radios which really isn't a clone but either has or has the
capability to have the rear panel 9 pin connector. I personally do not
recommend the TYT's as there have been many failures with them. They don't
stand up to continual operation on a busy Allstar connection even with fan
cooling which is recommended on any higher power radio you might use. I
have used numerous Alinico's for years and they hold up.

Icom, Yaesu, and Kenwood primarily use the 6 Pin DIN connector for external
interfacing. This again is an easy interface to any of the FOBS. Not all
models have the 6 PIN DIN and those that do are getting to be fewer but
there are many used older models around.

When you connect allstar directly to a repeater and use it as a repeater
controller you connect COS and audio in (RX audio) to the receiver side of
the repeater and PTT and audio out (TX audio) to the transmit side. You
then put Allstar in duplex mode (duplex=2) in rpt.conf.  This means that as
soon as COS keys it keys PTT and repeats the incoming audio to the output.

For a simplex node connected to a single transceiver you set duplex=1 and
in this mode an incoming COS does not key PTT. If it did it would disrupt
the receive and not work as a transceiver is not full duplex like a
separate receiver/transmitter repeater.

If you want to connect Allstar to a repeater there are basically three
ways.

 - Direct, which I mentioned above using Allstar as the repeater controller

 - Via an existing controller, where you come in on a port of the controller

 - remotely, where you use a remote simplex node to transmit to the
repeater.

The overall best method is direct. Allstar makes a good repeater
controller. It is also substantially less expensive than a dedicated
controller and much more flexible. You can have as many ports as you want
by just adding servers and connecting them via an Ethernet switch.

If you do want to connect to an existing controller that is certainly
possible assuming you have the port available on the controller.

A remote connection is often used when you do not have Internet available
at the repeater site. In this case you use a simplex node to connect to the
repeater from a remote location. The simplex node goes into the repeater
just like a user does. One downside to doing it this way is it is not full
duplex so if someone is talking on Allstar through the repeater or if the
Allstar connection is hung up you cannot send commands back to the simplex
node, it can only receive or transmit, not both at the same time.

Another thing that needs to be coordinated when using a remote repeater
link is that you need to have some way to only get a PL (COS) when someone
is keyed into the repeater. That is the PL on the repeater has to follow
the input NOT the output. This avoids the repeater tail or repeater ID from
going out over Allstar and also avoids loopback conditions. This involves
coordination with the repeater owner. If you are the owner then that
eliminates that problem.

I hope that answers you questions and maybe Jeds also. Connection diagrams
for various rigs are available. The Alinco D and other manufacturer 6 PIN
DIN are standard pin outs that are in the operating manuals if the rig
supports it. For commercial radios there is usually information  available
on the Internet from the repeater builder site or other sources. If you
have a specific rig you want to connect just ask. In most cases someone has
already done it.