[arm-allstar] radioless node dtmf

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 21:55:53 EST 2019

We are about to release our complete radio-less node and in a production
setting finding an inexpensive  DTMF mic that has real DTMF out and works
well is almost impossible. The clones are often junk. We started off with
Alinco mics and the ones offered on the Internet are Chinese clones and
unreliable using DTMF. We ended up using a Yaesu mic and an Arduino to
decode the voltage matrix from the mic and create DTMF tones. It works very
well but is not something the average user would want to do.

If you are building your own on a "onesey" basis you should be able to find
a mic - Kenwood, Alinco, etc. that works. For a powered mic you need 5V to
the mic.  I know some say 8V but all you need is 5V and that is all you are
going to get over USB anyway. See the pin out for your particular mic. Keep
in mind that many mics do NOT encode DTMF.  Yaesu and icom especially. They
either send voltage levels or a data stream to the radio and the DTMF is
created there. So not all mics will work for the DTMF audio directly out
which you need. Levels are very important for DTMF. Go into the Asterisk
client and observe the keys being decoded as you push them. They obviously
should all work. In some cases you may need to open the mic and set the
DTMF level internally if there is a pot to do that.