[arm-allstar] Advantages of hosted hub node

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 15 11:12:18 EDT 2019

Joshua,

In Allstar people tend to conflate the word "hub" with something special.
Maybe it is because on IRLP where you have to ask for permission to be
granted and run a reflector.  In Allstar terminology a "hub" is simply a
connection point where there are two or more other nodes connected. It is
an understanding among a group of people that they will all connect to one
node.  Anyone can create a "hub" in Allstar. There is nothing special about
it and no special configuration. As long as you have the Internet bandwidth
to do it, and in this day and age most do, you can set one up. It is more a
matter of advertising than anything else. Running hamvoip in turbo mode
without any radios a single server could easily handle 60+ connections.
There are very few "hubs" that have that many connections and in a case
where they might the load can be distributed over more than one server.
This is the beauty of Allstar because you have the flexibility to create
and do this. Here is Philadelphia I run at least three hubs using 10 local
servers and several remote. There are more than 65 direct connections
throughout the world. This is all done on Pi's and on a single Comcast
Internet connection.