[arm-allstar] ALTERNATIVE hosting site

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Fri Jul 19 07:24:59 EDT 2019

Brad,

There are lots of low-cost VPS providers selling services, Vultr being one
of the crowd. In the VPS world, you get what you pay for. Hosting a
website or even running a VPN on a VPS is different animal from running a
timing-critical VoIP application, like Asterisk/AllStar. It's all about
system latency and timing quality.  With website hosting, VPS latency may
not even be noticed. With VoIP it certainly will be noticed, showing up as
pops, clicks, stutters, audio drop-outs, etc.

I know some AllStar users are using VPS hosted hubs these days and seem
satisfied with the performance--audio issues and all.

As for the currently available HamVoIP firmware image, this software is
specifically tailored for Broadcom BCM2836/BCM2837 family ARM processors,
as found on Raspberry Pi 2 and 3 boards.  It won't run on Vultr. Period.

73, David KB4FXC