[arm-allstar] Setting up node on Cellular connection

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Tue Jan 22 23:01:41 EST 2019

Benjamin,

Crypto latency is typically negligible (under 1ms), even on an RPi2/3
system. There is also the additional latency incurred reaching the VPN
provider. With the US tunnels I run, the additional latency I see is as
much as 40ms for SE USA to NW USA tunnels---not enough to be any concern.

As with all VoIP systems, the primary concerns are almost always only 2
factors---packet loss and network jitter. These concern are independent of
whether you're running IPv4, IPv6 or a VPN.

BTW, since many users have mobile woes these days, a comprehensive VPN
solution is in the works.

73, David KB4FXC

On Tue, 22 Jan 2019, "Benjamin Naber via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> Gents,

A VPN may add un-desirable latency from the crypto.

If it works to satisfaction, then ignore this message.

Just as there are folks on IPv4-only (my ISP is only IPv4), using IPIP
6to4 tunnels to get IPv6 connectivity, you can do the same for IPv6 to
IPv4. You will most likely need to make sure the MTU for the tunnel is
1480.

Find the guides for setting up the IPv6 tunnels, and do the opposite.
In this case, you'll be able to use just about any hosted server whom
has a dual-stack IP connection.

You *may* have to get creative with the 'routes' on the endpoint tunnel
router though, you may have to specify a ip -4 route  with a very low
metric to ensure packets going out IPv4 and not 6.

An alternative, perhaps better, on the endpoint tunnel router, ensure
resolv.conf contains ONLY a IPv4 address for DNS queries.

If this stuff is above your head, get learning. This Internet/computer
stuff is going to keep 'evolving' as time goes on. It not beautifully
simple as AM or FM!

Benjamin, KB9LFZ

On Sun, 2019-01-13 at 12:01 -0500,