[arm-allstar] One of two USB URIs dropping off

Mark G Thomas Mark at misty.com
Sat Jan 12 21:30:07 EST 2019

Hi,

I use these cheap tiny adjustable DC-DC supplies, just a couple dollars each on eBay, fed with 12-14 VDC. So long as your 5V wires are short and heavy to minimize resistance and hence variation with load to the Pi, you can then adjust the supply up to sufficient voltage (possibly as high as 5.2-5.4 – I should measure...) that you measure 5.0 or 5.1 volts on the test point directly on the Pi PCB. Google for where exactly to measure. There is a poly fuse and maybe other sources of voltage drop on the Pi; hence the need to use a greater than 5V supply, especially on the more power hungry 3B+! This works great!

My experience was the fixed voltage epoxy potted 12V-5V converters are too low voltage an output when under load, considering the resistive loss of the 3B+ setup.

KC3DRE

Mark G Thomas

I am not sure if the photos will make it: