[arm-allstar] Adding sensor

Doug Crompton wa3dsp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 11:20:02 EST 2019

Dennis,

 The Pi does not have A/D inputs so it cannot directly read analog values.
A very inexpensive way to do this would be to use an Arduino, which has A/D
as well as digital inputs, to read whatever sensor you want and then
transmit the info to the Pi via USB.  I am sure there are also add-on
boards for the Pi to do this. You could also buy a weather station for your
site - Ambient Weather has some nice reasonably priced ones - then send the
data to wunderground and use the scripts already in hamvoip allstar to
recover and display or annunciate that data.

Here is a link on some examples of reading analog data with the Pi. It
depends how much you want to play vs. just buying something that does it.

http://www.gadgetexplained.com/2016/05/4-ways-to-get-raspberry-pi-to-read.html

Personally I would and have gone the weather station approach because it is
independent, just works, and gives you lots more information than just
temperature and humidity.

This is similar to what I have in two locations and it works well.

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws1400ip.html

You can certainly go more expensive with something like Davis or Peet but
for the price you can't beat some of the Ambient Weather stuff. By the time
you buy all the sensors and hardware and spend the time making it all work
the weather station would be easier.