[arm-allstar] Internal AllStar Node Configuration with External Facing Node

Kyle Krieg kylekrieg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 21:58:21 EST 2019

We are about ready to start our testing with a new CAT800 controller and
AllStar nodes.  Exciting!!!!

The club has decided to use private internal nodes to link our repeaters
around town together (via a private mesh network) and then connect one of
the private nodes to an external facing public node.  This way there is
only "1 way into" the private nodes, kinda like a firewall into a network.

I'm looking through the documentation and if we have three private nodes
and one public node, we define them in the rpt.conf stanza just like any
other node.  We then need to define the other private nodes in rpt.conf,
and likewise in the other private nodes within the network.

Ex : if we have three private nodes (1085, 1091, 1097) and one public node
(40105) our [nodes] stanza would look like this (looking from the 1085 node
for the example)

1085 = radio at 127.0.0.1/1085,NONE
1097 = radio at 192.168.0.88/1097,NONE
1091 = radio at 192.168.0.101/1091,NONE
40105 = radio at 192.168.0.125/40105,NONE

Question : I don't understand what the NONE at the end of a node definition
line in the [node] stanza is for.

1085 = radio at 192.168.0.45/1085,NONE

Question : What is a memory for a remote base?  I see they are all
commented out.

;00 = 146.580,100.0,m
;01 = 147.030,103.5,m+t
;02 = 147.240,103.5,m+t
;03 = 147.765,79.7,m-t
;04 = 146.460,100.0,m
;05 = 146.550,100.0,m

Question : What if I wanted to connect node 40105 permanently to local node
1085, so if the 40105 node reboots it automatically connects or
automatically connects if it drops off some how.  Do I need to write a
script and call it in cron to check for connection, or will the
"permanently" checkbox do that in Supermon?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my configs correctly so
testing goes well.  FYI..we are planning on using duplex = 0 and linktolink
= yes because we are interfacing with a multiport controller (CAT 800 on
port 3).  Fusion repeater is connected to port 1.  CAT800 is handling all
the courtesy tones.

Thanks
Kyle
AA0Z