[arm-allstar] OpenVPN (Mobile) and Personal VPN Server using Asus router @ home

Travis French tfrench at pcb.com
Thu Dec 5 13:31:36 EST 2019

Good Afternoon,

I am following up on my original email as I am still having an issue with incoming connections to my mobile node. Outgoing works great as always expected. It is connected through OnStar's 4GLTE if that makes a difference.

So, I originally connected my mobile mode to my home VPN that is built into my Asus router. It was showing my "home" IP address in Supermon so I thought I was there. Maybe too easy. No incoming connections. I quickly assumed I needed to add entries to the rpt.conf file since my home and mobile node had the same WAN IP address. Not the case. No incoming connection local or otherwise.

Thinking maybe that the Asus VPN server was the issue, I set up another dedicated Raspberry Pi this week running PiVPN. Of course, I turned off the Asus VPN. Both options work great for access to my LAN remotely. And in both cases, my WAN IP looks as though I am at home. In both cases still, I cannot receive incoming connections on my mobile node local or otherwise.

I have all applicable ports forwarded to my local VPN IP address. Hopefully that is correct?? I have also switched off my firewall and set the VPN to DMZ temporarily to see if that was the issue. No luck.

At this point, I am feeling really silly and must be missing something fundamental.

I am not a network expert but I am learning a lot. Any guidance or nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance,

Travis K2PCB