[arm-allstar] Ssh password

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Thu Dec 5 13:07:59 EST 2019

Kevin,

As long as it's a fairly strong password, there isn't an easy way to find
the plain-text for a lost/changed password. The plain-text isn't stored on
the system, only a one-way hashed result gets stored. The only way to
actually recover the password is via brute force---like a dictionary
attack.

However, as Patrick mentioned, you can replace the password with a new
one. If you've got a "back door" account with root privilege, you can
login via ssh, become root and replace the password with the 'passwd root'
command.

If you can't get in via ssh, you must go to the node's location and
directly modify the SD card.  The hashed passwords are stored in the
/etc/shadow file.  This is a text readable file and you can edit manually
and replace to lost password field.  I'll send you more details about this
method, if you need to perform this operation.

73, David KB4FXC

On Thu, 5 Dec 2019, "Kevin Halton via ARM-allstar" wrote:

> I am having a problem with a remote node. I tried to ssh in last night
and the password is not recognized! There are only two people who have
access to node and could have changed it.