[arm-allstar] Multiple nodes on network using OVPN

Glenn Morgon radion8hc at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 12:25:16 EDT 2019

If your Ubiquity link is all part of the same subnet as your public IP
facing router is then simply assign each node it's own port in the
iax.conf. Each port is simply forwarded from the router's head end, easy
peasy. If you are going to have the Ubiquity on its own subnet from the
router and the Ubiquity will handle routing for that subnet then you'll
need to cascade the port forwards from your public facing IP router through
the Ubiquity.  If all you have is a couple of devices, probably easiest to
go with the former method.

As far as connecting the two nodes located at the same location a hard wire
CAT5 would be best if conditions allow for it, try to avoid using wifi if
possible.  If you are talking about linking sites on separate mountains
linking with Ubiquity equipment then simply bridging the Ubiquity devices
will put them effectively on the same subnet.  Depending on topography you
may be able to link the two mountains on the same Ubiquity AP radio at the
router end, or you can have a single Ubiquity link between the mountains.
There's pros and cons to each method.

For linking two nodes together on the same subnet, simply add each of the
node's local IP address information to the [nodes] section of each other's
rpt.conf file.  I do just this in my environment where I have two nodes on
the same subnet.  Here's an example of what I've done, using two nodes,
46000 that lives on local IP address 192.168.1.98 and 47000 that lives on
local IP address of 192.168.1.97  as examples:

in the [nodes] section of 46000's rpt.conf file
47000 = radio at 192.168.1.97:4572/47000,NONE

in the [nodes] section of 47000's rpt.conf file
46000 = radio at 192.168.1.98:4569/46000,NONE

The format, broken down, is simply: <remote node #> = radio@<remote node
IP>:<assigned port>/<remote node #>,NONE

By adding these definitions it avoids having the router do a hairpin
loop-back (which some routers may be less than optimal in performing) and
more importantly limits network traffic/overhead especially if these
devices are on the far end of a Ubiquity link.

Glenn
N8HC

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>